Elgin High School's Honors Diploma is designed to reward students who enroll in the most rigorous courses available while recognizing that in doing so he or she may risk lowering his or her cumulative GPA.
Read the requirements listed below. Fill out the application section, sign it, have your parent sign it, and return it to the principal. All applications will be reviewed by the Academics Committee. The committee's decision will be final.
- Student must apply for the Honors Diploma through this written application by November 15 of the senior year.
- Student must apply an Application of Intent for the Honors Diploma program by January 15 of the junior year.
- Honors class requirements cannot be met through the Alternative Education program. If Freshmen and Sophomore requirements are not met by October 1 of the junior year, the applicant must petition by October 1 to the Honors Diploma Committee.
- Applicant must have completed at least one course from four (4) of the six (6) curricular divisions listed below, earning at least a C or above.
- Applicant must have completed eight (8) courses from the curricular divisions listed below, earning at least a C or above. Completion of a 3 credit 100-level or higher college course with a grade of C or above can be used to meet 1 semester of this requirement. To serve as a substitute, the course must be approved in advance by the faculty Academics Committee & fall into one of the appropriate categories.
- Applicant must maintain a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Grades of P, NC, D, or F will not be accepted for the Honors Diploma.
- An appeal process is available upon request.
|Advanced English 3||Advanced United States History|
|Advanced English 4||Advanced Amer Govt/Economics|
|Any business class taken for college credit|